找回密码
 注册
查看: 473|回复: 0

inquiry in etab program

[复制链接]
发表于 2009-9-9 19:39:35 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
inquiry in etab program
i have  question in this program
1- when i make design for building by hand and check the result by e tab i found big differet in the value for the momenet , shear and deflection  for the beams
so do you think to use the value from the program and use it in my design
check out our whitepaper library.
that'll always happen.  in any program you use.  
depends on the use of the beam.  if it's for framing only, i'd just use hand calcs.  if it's essential to the lateral force system, i'd use the etabs and coupled with effects from the hand calcs.
i'll stray from swivel63 a little here.
if you can't come pretty close to the program's output, then you have no idea what the program is actually doing, so it would be irresponsible to use whatever it spits at you.
of course "pretty close" depends on what type of problem you're looking at.
if it's a static analysis of a framed structure, then you should be able to get pretty close to etabs' answer.  make simplifying assumptions, use the portal method, cross-check with another program.  you should be able to get within a few percent.
as a harder example, i was looking at a nasty vibration problem the other day using sap.  even so, i was able to perform a manual calc with many simplifying assumptions and get within about 30% of sap's answer.
like i said, it depends on usage....i'd hardly spin my wheels on the forces for a beam framing a door opening in a stair well (just columns and beams) the way i would for a beam framing in a shearwall at the base floor (opening only at the ground).  
i agree with 271828, hand calcs that do not agree with software results make the software unusable!  the gigo rule and the fact that a simplified analysis is easily calculated makes it imperative that you can get identical results in modeled problems.
agreed, but it sounds like he has a framed structure and is not getting anywhere near what etabs is spitting back at him.  
i'm envisioning a moment frame where he calcs a d+l moment of wl^2/10 (or whatever) and is getting 3x larger or smaller.  there's no way it should be very different.
i'm not talking about checking each and every beam, just doing enough to make sure that the program is working correctly and that the model is correct.
i have a great example.  i was working on another vibration problem the other day and arrogantly didn't do a manual calc.  my frequency was 4 hz.  the next day, when i was going over it with someone, he said it seemed high to him.  i went back and did a very simplified manual calc and got 1.7 hz.  sure enough, i'd computed line masses, but had forgotten to apply them at 2:00am.  the answer was about 1.3 hz, 30% off from my manual calc.
manual calcs to verify overall behavior and model accuracy are absolutely mandatory, in my opinion.
swelm, one idea to start with is to create problems for which you can get the exact solution.  if you can't get a match within 1%, then you have a problem.  make the problem extremely easy, a simply-supported beam with a uniform load for example.  be sure to turn off shear deformations if you want an exact match with deflection equations such as those in the aisc manual.
if necessary, work your way up through a few problems of increasing complexity, but still having exact solutions.
if you can get that to work, then try to figure out what's wrong with your model.
i want to thank all of you for this valuable information
swelm
are you using shells to model the floor slab?  if so how fine of mesh are you using?
etabs will place a point load at each node of the shell element.  if your mesh is not very fine the program will place only a couple of point loads along the length of the beam, and it will give you bad answers.  
you might want to try making the mesh finer near the beams or using the one-way distribution check box that etabs has when defining floor slab objects
i think this has to do with the fact the etabs is a finite element program. you hand calcs probably assume that you have a pin - pin condition at the ends. therefore as far as your hand calcs are considered your vertical deflection at both ends of the beam is zero. as far as etabs is concerned the elements supporting your beam will vertically deflect. (i'm assuming that you have girders and not columns supporting the beams.) this condition is more like a beam supported by springs at the ends (k1 and k2). both of the supporting girders will probably deflect differently. this difference will induce moments that your hand calcs will not account for.  
ucfknights, i agree that this might be the case.  
i don't want to sound disagreeable, but i think we should be clear here that he can just assume this is the cause and trust what etabs is spitting back at him.
he should be able to do _something_ to make sure he knows for sure what etabs is doing.  even if it is a fe program, he should be able to modify that model or create other ones that can be checked by hand.
he also didn't specify _how_ different the results were.  i don't care if it is a fea program, if it's off by 50%, then it's wrong--either the input or understanding of what the program is doing.
anyway, sorry for sounding disagreeable, but i think this is an important point.
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

QQ|Archiver|小黑屋|几何尺寸与公差论坛

GMT+8, 2024-6-17 06:26 , Processed in 0.037603 second(s), 19 queries .