几何尺寸与公差论坛

找回密码
 注册
查看: 452|回复: 0

inspection fees

[复制链接]
发表于 2009-9-9 19:42:00 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
inspection fees
threshold inspect fees for a large threshold commercial building in south florida, (without any drawings).
project involves pilecaps, reinforced concrete columns shearwalls, post-tensioned concrete slabs, and reinforced masonry...
what would you think is a resonable estimate for the lump sum fee based only on the total cubic yards that was provided.
(i.e. $/cy)
thank you for your thoughts,
this all depends on the contractor.  if they're pouring 10 yds a day, you going to be there much longer than if they pour 100 yds a day.
i would only price the project if they allowed a lump sum based on "x" days of inspection with a price for additional days.  the contractor has no incentive to help you meet your assumptions and might even try to burn your budget up so that inspections get less rigorous as the project progresses.
quote:
i would only price the project if they allowed a lump sum based on "x" days of inspection with a price for additional days.
this is still a daily rate basis.
however, if you thought you would be pouring or ready to inspect on a certain day and had equipment breakdowns or inclement weather or any of a miriad other delays that can happen then you would be paying an inspector to just sit around and get paid.
on the other hand if you were quoted an hourly rate and were using a "local" inspector the travel & dead time would be minimized as most charge a minimum half day just for showing up instead of a whole day rate.
scheduling an inspector when other competing projects are going on is difficult, so i would suggest talking to several independents or inspection agencies to work out an inspection program you both can agree on for the success of the project.
ok, that being said is all fine. what would be a reasonable estimate for inspecting a cubic yard of concrete, $/cy ?
thanks
if your company has performed jobs similar to this look at their costs associated with inspections for the same work and calculate the final cost by the cy.
to my knowledge i have never heard of contracting inspection by the cy or the linear foot or even by the spool piece - it is usually by the hour plus travel.
for future project planning i have gone back and calculated this figure based on the overall cost of previous projects.
on the west coast we do not have threshold inspection but instead special inspection...which is not usually performed by pes but certified icc special inspectors. i'd imagine the rate for pes on site would be higher.
most special inspection agencies (including cmt firms) i am familiar with, base their inspection fees on time and material and bill in 2, 4, or 8 hour minimums (plus travel, report preparation etc)..albeit there are some clients who prefer a lump sum amount. without the benefit of previous experience on costs associated with offering this type of service, you run the risk of blowing the budget if you opt for a lump sum fee or fee based on volume of concrete.
some follow-up questions:
1. let's say there'll be masonry construction and concrete placement going on at the same time, do you envisage using 1 theshold inspector for both types of work or 2? this is something you'll have to take into account.
2. what about fees for materials testing and field technician support(testing fresh concrete etc)? is this something another firm will be handling?
it sounds like a $/cy price would apply to someone taking concrete cylinders for a compression test. the amount of cylindes is based on cy.
otherwise i have not heard of this for a method of quoting a professional fee. day or hourly rates are the standard. upsets and qualifications are also a good idea.
a couple of thoughts....
1.  i assume you mean you don't have drawings from which to prepare your estimate.  threshold inspection can't be done properly without drawings.
2.  before you give a price, find the threshold inspection plan (which must be filed in florida).  this will basically outline your scope of services.
3.  find the contractor's schedule. that's more important than the volume of concrete.  a hundred cubic yards placed at one time will cost "$x" to inspect....a hundred cubic yards placed at 5 different times will cost a lot more to inspect.
we always base on a fixed price per visit with an hourly charge for additional work.  provide the client with an estimated # of site visits if 'good work/trade' anticipated for the project.  added costs if the trades need to be 'baby sat' and then up to the owner to collect the other way.  you get to know the trades and they get to know you.  cy of concrete never heard of, but think tons of reinf. steel would be a better estimate if thats where you want to go?
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

QQ|Archiver|小黑屋|几何尺寸与公差论坛

GMT+8, 2024-6-17 04:08 , Processed in 0.036282 second(s), 19 queries .