几何尺寸与公差论坛

找回密码
 注册
查看: 382|回复: 0

inspection procedure for a groove join

[复制链接]
发表于 2009-9-9 19:43:01 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
inspection procedure for a groove joint
we are welding a 1 1/4" thick pile on site with a single bevel groove joint with a backing ring. the weld is in 2g position. there is no access to get in once the welding is done. we are trying to figure out the kind of inspection testing to be done on the weld. is there any specifications for this weld? if so can i please have the code name?
thank you
keshav vasudevan

this weld can be inspected using ultrasonic flaw detection.  you may use the american welding society's structural welding code, d1.1 for acceptance criteria.  if you are not in the us, other structural welding codes have similar criteria.
ron - wont the backer bar flaw the ultrasonic results?
thank you for the responses.
but i am not sure if the backing bar would affect the results are not.
ultrasonic testing is performed so as to check for flaws at a given depth.  (thats why we hope the inspectors know their geometry.)  the back side of the welded member will show up as a flaw (like a void) if the proper depth and angle of the shoe are not considered (or the shoe is worn).  so, yes the backing bar will show up as a flaw if the inspector doesnt have the proper geometry input into the scope.  but even if the depth were set greater than the thickness of the member, it would be located 1 1/4" deep in the member, which would indicate that it is in fact the backing bar, not the main member. (and would show up until the sound wave was hitting the root pass.)
i've been involved with both the design, as a civil engineer, and in the inspection, as the managing p.e. of a testing lab in california.  the most common areas i've seen problems develop in these welds are: #1 - the fit-up (gap) is inconsistent due to fresh heading (grinding) of the driven pile, or mushrooming of the top of the pile causing a larger diameter on the driven portion; #2 - lack of proper welding procedure mandating a thorough cleaning of the root pass.
if done properly, these welds will be fine, but should be checked using ut.
good luck,
jim
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

QQ|Archiver|小黑屋|几何尺寸与公差论坛

GMT+8, 2024-6-17 06:37 , Processed in 0.035570 second(s), 19 queries .