几何尺寸与公差论坛

找回密码
 注册
查看: 905|回复: 0

【转帖】what do you call your first revision

[复制链接]
发表于 2009-5-4 11:14:41 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
what do you call your first revision?
looking for some ideas.. when you all first create a drawing, do you start with a revision (1, or a, for example)?  if so, what do you call that revision--what do you put in the revision text?  until now we've used "breakdown release" but we're considering changing that, and i'd like to get some alternative ideas.  thanks,
brian
i have worked at companies that did it different ways.  the most common i've seen was to release a drawing at rev a, using "initial release" as the description.  i have also seen drawings released at rev "-" (same description).  both methods seemed to work well.
the only problem with that is that we use the term "initial release" as the status of a part/project that has become an order and is preparing to make its way to manufacturing.  so, "initial release" is not an option for me.  thanks for the quick reply...
numerical revs prior to release, then revision a for initial release.
chris
sr. mechanical designer, cad
solidworks 2005 sp0.1
up until now, we've used a system like that--we're changing to start at 1 and continue through production with the next number.  we're using a separate "status" area in the title block to denote a drawing's current status, so we don't need to do it in the revisions any longer.
thanks for the quick reply...
brian
we start all new drawings with "x" revisions, starting with x0 (followed by x1, x2, etc..).  when the drawing is offically released we remove the revisions and start with no revisions.  all revisions from then follow a, b, c, etc.. except for revisions to bare pc boards.  if a drawing is changed but the change does not affect the physical layout or hole sizes on the board then it gets a number instead of a letter, b1, b2 for example.   
mcdonnell douglas used rev: "new" for the initial release of a drawing. then they used alpha revisions: a, b, ...z, aa, ab,  etc.
x is never allowed per drafting standards.
chris
solidworks 2005 sp0.1
rev. "new", "nil", "-" or "0" are all common.
i prefer systems that use an "issue" level rather than a "revision" level.
the first time a drawing is released it is at issue 1.  make changes and release, issue 2.  it's so simple.
ctopher,
you are correct that "x" is never allowed, nor is i, o, s, or q because each letter could look like a 1, 0, 5, or 0 depending on the font used.
but, and i'm going to reference dod-std-100 because i don't have the latest asme equivalent in front of me, for the initial drawing release, there needs not be any information in the revision block, although most places add a rev "new" or "-" or "n/c" for no change there.  the first change is denoted with an "a."  initial releases should not start with an a.
but, for parts that have not yet been production baselined (and this deals with configuration management and since cmii is out that no longer follows a mil-spec, this is now covered in the current asme specs), a revision of x0 for initial "prototype" released followed by xa, xb, xc, etc.  once the part has been baselined for production, the revisoin goes to a "-" and the revision history is maintained in the rev block.
i believe this information is covered in the appendices of asme specs because the are carry overs of the dod- and mil-std.  commercial practices may not have this info defined, but it is useful and beneficial.
--scott
swertel i agree with "n/c" or "-". for some reason my company has always released new dwgs with "a". i have never agreed with it, but they will not change it. our customers don't agree with it either, but we still do it.
all preliminary dwgs prior to release are numerical rev's "1,2,3...".
chris
solidworks 2005 sp0.1
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

QQ|Archiver|小黑屋|几何尺寸与公差论坛

GMT+8, 2024-5-5 06:46 , Processed in 0.031057 second(s), 19 queries .