几何尺寸与公差论坛

找回密码
 注册
查看: 705|回复: 0

so are you all explosives experts

[复制链接]
发表于 2009-9-6 09:22:56 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
so are you all explosives experts?
(i apologize for going a little ot here!)
those of you that watched the 2-hour episode of csi thursday night will know what i'm talking about...
for those that didn't: the antagonist kidnapped one of the csi gang and buried him alive.  said antagonist was ultimately revealed to be an aerospace engineer and explosives expert.  the way it was said seemed to imply that being an explosives expert somehow followed naturally from being an aerospace engineer.
so, typical hollywood b.s. (i have very little respect for the "science" on that show) or do you aerospace types work with semtex all the time?  
cheers,
dean
well...no.  i know what semtex and primacord are, and can make some basic calculations regarding their use...but i always left the "playing around with it" to the tech's.  still have all my fingers and toes, too.
most of the engineers i know do get pretty excited by pyrotechnics and explosions, though...
ttfn
yeah i've blown stuff up... during army training exercises.
regards, wil taylor
i started out with my mech. eng degree in the aerospace field.  from there i moved into defense, a natural progression for many, and thus became an explosives expert-in-training.
--scott
my teenage years featured dozens of rockets.  this also led to some experience with ballistic descent trajectories...
following this week's csi episode, are we all now convinced that a ford explorer on grass can out-accelerate a cherokee?
steven fahey, cet
my ford explorer can't out-accelerate a skateboard on dry ground!
some ford's explode on their own, sort of.
if anyone owns a ford, here's a real concern.
there's an electronic valve in the engine that's permanently powered and has flammable fluid (?power steering fluid) under a small membrane that ignites when the membrane cracks. there's been about 100 of them catch fire the past few years, often while you sleep, which is not good for your garage.
a tv article showed one of them at a gas station smoking all by itself on video. one guy lost his house.
i think ford fixed things in 2003 sometime.
kch
higgler,
here is what i have heard about the fords that catch fire.  the part in question is a pressure sensor on the end of the master brake cylinder that cuts the cruise control when the brakes are applied.  i don't have a ford, but two friends have expeditions (2001 & 2002) with the problem and they have researched the subject.  seems the sensor is powered even when the vehicle is turned off, so a fire can start anytime after the sensor diaphram fails.  seems kinda dumb to use a pressure transducer instead of a mechanical switch on the brake pedal like others auto makers.
timelord
they used the same design on 500,000 plus cars, not too bright.
maybe ford's new acronym should be;
fire on road dumb.
they recommended a quick safety solution to snip the wire to the device to keep the power away from the flammable fluid. hence if the diaphram failed it isn't likely to catch fire and burn your house down. from the video i saw, the sensor is very accessible.
staying on the ford subject, those of you that own mid 60's ford mustangs, look into them exploding/catching fire after a rear end collision. the gas tank is not shielded from the back seat other than with cardboard. there are kits to enhance your safety. i look at the cars differently now that i know that scary fact. alot more mustangs had bad fires than did the pinto's, who made alot of headlines with their two straps holding the gas tank breaking upon rear enders. beware.
kch
ps:nowadays, i think too many things get blown up (people especially, etc.), it's about time to limit knowledge on explosives on the internet. don't let a ford park too close to your house either.
another disturbing thought: in a brake failure situation, brake fluid lost... the cruise control doesn't even disengage...  lots of confusion...
steven fahey, cet
i had a ford once, but i'm alright now.
remember, ford spelled backwards means "driver returning on foot."  and perhaps not to well done, either.
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

QQ|Archiver|小黑屋|几何尺寸与公差论坛

GMT+8, 2024-5-8 06:47 , Processed in 0.035587 second(s), 19 queries .