几何尺寸与公差论坛

找回密码
 注册
查看: 606|回复: 0

aashto on se1 exam

[复制链接]
发表于 2009-9-7 09:23:12 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
aashto on se1 exam
my office has the aashto standard specs. for highway bridges 2002 and the brand new 2007 (w/ 2008 revisions). since we are a structural building firm and never deal with aashto they won't buy every version of the aashto code. unfortunately, 4 of us younger engineers will be taking the se1 this year in which 20% of the exam refers to the 2004 code (w/ 2005 and 2006 revisions).
my questions to the group are:
1. is the 2004/5/6 aashto code more similar to the 2002 or 2007/8 code? which should i use to study?
3. are there any major changes i should know about?
thanks for any help you can provide
do you have a copy of the structural engineering reference manual?  if not, i highly recommend getting it.
compare what it has for aashto references to what is in both codes.  re  
it is my understanding that the se1 will use only aashto lrfd beginning in april. aashto lrfd is significantly different from the 2002 aashto standard specs.
probably the biggest problem with not having the edition of the code they specify is when they tell you to use a certain equation or table that may have changed or moved in later or earlier codes.  i would really try to get the one they specify.
one tip is asshto has a strange way of calculating concrete strengths.  i used aci equations instead.  don't know if i got those right, but i did pass.
is the se1 multiple choice or calculation?
if calculation, you can show where you started.
if multiple choice, my guess is they won't play the kind of dirty pool where one of the wrong answers would have been right in the previous edition.
hg
i would call around other firms and ask to borrow or rent the right copy.  why take the chance if it can be avoided?  i was fortunate enough to be lent a copy of the code i needed for the se1.
just buy the code if you cant easily get one, and then ebay it two months before the following exam (assuming you pass yours).  there are tons of se1 test takers who want them on ebay.
i was out $0 and was able to use/study from the correct code.  
thanks to all who responded.
i will check around to see if anyone has it and would let me borrow it. if i can't get a hold of it, i will go by the 07/08 code because aashto didn't list many changes on the webpage when buying the specification. these specifications are over $300 new and there are none on ebay or amazon so i won't be buying it just for the exam.
aggie, thanks for the heads up about the concrete strengths. i'll look into that.(hook 'em horns though!)
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

QQ|Archiver|小黑屋|几何尺寸与公差论坛

GMT+8, 2024-9-21 10:58 , Processed in 0.036983 second(s), 19 queries .