几何尺寸与公差论坛

找回密码
 注册
查看: 639|回复: 0

allowable floor deflections versus workmanship standares

[复制链接]
发表于 2009-9-7 10:58:07 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
allowable floor deflections versus workmanship standares.
i have a  question regarding an apparent conflict between the requirements of the ubc and published workmanship standards.
i will first set up the scenerio. a rectangler building 40'x 20'  with cmu walls all around. a single wood beam bisects the 40' dimension. wood joists bear on a wood ledger each end and the bisecting wood beam. a wood ledger runs parrallel to the wood joists at the side walls.
now the issue: table 1604.3 of the 2003 ubc allows for the following deflections: l/360 for ll deflection (20x12/360= .67") and l/240 for dl+ll deflection =1"
the workmanship standards state "unevenness of floors should not exceed 3/16" in 48". floors should be level within 1/2" in any 12'".
now the conflict: if i were to design the floor using the ubc requirements,  the allowable deflection could be as much as 1". however, per the standards, anything more then 10'/12'x.5"=.42" would be unacceptable (unlevel floor). also, at mid span, at the side walls  the wood joist could theorectically deflect 1" while the bolted wood ledger would not, it may even be higher due to placement tolerance and any crown in the ledger. this condition resulting in an uneven floor per the standards (1"+ versus 3/16"). to make matters worse, the ledger could theoretically be cut to match the profile of the deflected wood joist but depending if the live load was realized or not, could ossilate between being within standards to being outside of the standards.
the issue: i could meet all the design requirements of the building code, the contractor build the project per the drawings and yet still have some major problems if the workmanship standards were strickly enforced. i have been doing this for a long time and i have always used the code values and have never considered the apparently much more restrictive workmanship standards.
your thoughts please.
wayne befort se az36611
check out our whitepaper library.
i interpret "unevenness" as a sort of measure of the floor being level when constructed, not deflection during service.  using the unevenness criteria, you wouldn't simply use your deflection because the beam has also deflected 12" away from it.  so the real floor unevenness for that 12" section is the differential deflection, not the total deflection.
i don't think the workmanship standards you reference have anything to do with deflection.
yeah.. i agree with structural eit.  probably has a lot to do with concrete floor.  
thanks for the input, but i'm not sure i understand what you mean. this is a wood framed second floor. what would the conrete floor have to do with it?
the standards i have referred are state construction standards. uneveness, is different then level. unevenuss tries to take into account the joists being set at different elevations thusly producing a wavey affect.
the bottom line, an engineer prepares the construction documents per code, the builder constructs per  plans, the owner moves in and loads up the floor and the floor deflects more then what is allowed per state mandated construction standards. in this case, in regards to level, the joist will deflect 1" at the center and only .42" is allowed per the state construction standards.
should i start using more restrictive deflection criteria then what is allowed per code?
thanks in advance and i really appreciate the consideration.
ouch. no wonder you were confused. the workmanship standard is 1/2" in 12 feet for level.
befort-
i am not quite following you.  your workmanship standards are as you state, for "how the builder places the beams".
even if you make the leap that they are referencing deflection somehow with this standard, your total deflection is happening over half the span (10').  the value of 1/2" is per 12" or 3/16" per 48".  one way you get 5" of deflection is allowed (10')*(.5"/ft), the other way you get 9.5/16" -> (10')*(3/16"/ft).  
i am still not seeing this as a deflection issue though, more a "workmanship standard" for how the contractor should build it.
ok, i just saw your last post and that certainly seems more reasonable, but i still think it is setting tolerances and possibly to preclude the contractor from using wood that is warped beyond this amount.  
o.k. i'll get more specific. this is real world stuff. i designed the above project, the owner moves in and puts a water bed right in the middle of the room. the owner says his floor is not level. the regestrar of contractors inspects the floor by placing a 12' level not at the center of the room (if the had it would have been level) but places one end at the end of the joist and the other at the center of the span and measures a difference in elevation of 5/8" and says it's no good. keep in mind, the elevation at each end of the joist is identical. what  he  measured is the sag in the joists which meets the code but doesn't meet the workmanship standard of 1/2".
does this make sense now?
thanks once again for your input.
that certainly makes sense - is the workmanship standard part of ubc or is it something seperate?
i just don't see floor uneveness or levelness as deflection.  levelness evenness, imo, is the state of the floor while not under load; while deflection is the state of the floor under load.
i would venture to guess that if you start designing for the deflection of l/576 (1/2" per 12'), you will get a lot of complaints from owners and contractors about increased cost due to beefier framing.
i would like to hear other's opinions on this.
great, it sounds like your getting it.
now the second condition. unevenuss of the floor. the floor is perfectly even across the length of the room (it has to unless the wood beam on one end and the bearing ledger on the other end or the joist itself had waves in it) however, the first joist adjacent to the wall (2' away)  has deflected 5/8". the parrallel ledger was placed by running a straight chaulk line from the end of the wood beam to the end of the bearing ledger. therefore, at the center of the joist the plywood rises 5/8"+- from the joist to the wall. thusly exceeding the 3/16" in 48" required per the workmanship standards by a substantail margin. i guess the gc could have cut the top of the ledger  to match the profile of the joist but thats not practical.
your statements regarding workmanship standards have been very helpfull. i'm beginning to believe that the regestra is taking a somewhat simplistic approach at determing allowable construction tolerances. i suspect a better method would be to determine the actural elevation at each end of the wood beam and each end of the bearing ledger and in no case should this elevation deviatate by more then 20/12x.5"=.83" (20'x20'room). does this make sense?

it sounds like the person doing this check on your building should have done that before the water bed was put in place!!  of course you are going to have relatively significant deflection placing a water bed in the middle of a 20' span.
what caused the 5/8" deflection before the plywood was placed?
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

QQ|Archiver|小黑屋|几何尺寸与公差论坛

GMT+8, 2024-10-3 06:15 , Processed in 0.039008 second(s), 19 queries .