几何尺寸与公差论坛

找回密码
 注册
查看: 718|回复: 0

analysis of submerged flat plate

[复制链接]
发表于 2009-9-7 11:39:25 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
analysis of submerged flat plate
i'm looking for a little help in determining the proper bending equation to use in the analysis of 1/2" plate welded out around it's perimeter to a structural frame. the frame is submerged and is used to isolate a gate on a hydroelectric dam for maintenance. i was able to analyze the structural members, but what about the plate? fixed-fixed ends using the longest dimension for (l) is way too conservative.
roark's no help ? ... for a rectangular plate with pinned perimeter and out-of-plane pressure ??  i imagine that it's got quite the pressure applied to it.
do you have sitffeners breaking up the plate ?
is the load carried by bearing of the plate onto the frame, or by tension in the welds (i think it's obvious which way is better) ?
is the plate welded to the frame along a single line weld, or multiple welds ? ... i picture that the frame (possibly a sq tube structure) bears against the plate so that the frame could be welded to the plate along more than one line.  
the plate area i am trying to analyze is 4' x 6' and is welded out 100% to a frame of channel and wide flange members (it has to seal out the water). the pressure is pushing the plate against the frame. if i had a way to look at the maximum moment in the plate i could design backing   
p.s. thanks for the help.  i wish i had a rourk's to look at.
20tons of load ... from roark 7thed, table 11.1 (reactangular flat plate, constant thickness, constant pressure) ... max stress = 0.5*q*b^2/t^2 (b is the short side) (for a plate, a/b = 1.5) = .5*12*48^2/.5^2 = 55.3ksi.
i think you're better off using the plate to distribute the pressure onto your stiffeners (1' pitch ?) ... then the stiffeners are "just" beams with a udl (144lb/in), and maybe fixed ends ... the shear connection to the frame looks like somethig to watch (3500 lbs).
for a flat plate, try this.  be patient, it's a large pdf:
wonder why they didn't look at a plate pinned ("hinged") on all four sides ?
thanks. looks like the solution.
i agree, why would there be a hinged condition all sides?  they covered everything else.
i thought there must be a fair amount of work done on this problem. i have run into this before and never felt quite comfortable with my method. my only solution was to "detatch" the plate on the long side and analyze it as a beam. way too conservative!  thanks again.
ok, i thought i was heading the right way with this. i guess i do not understand the units used by the above publication. for plates fixed on all four sides and uniform loading. moment = coeff. x p x a^2. what are the units? i have tried the correct table (i believe), but i can not replicate the answer that rb1957 produced using roarks seventh edition, table 11.1, for stress after using the coefficient from the table to get the moment and then using stress = moment/section modulus.
with all sides fixed roark's table reduces the maximum stress to .45*... (down form 0.5*...) ... does that help any ?
roark refernces the legendry timoshenko, "plates and shells" if you need further info.
rb1957, by reduction of the stress, do you mean from the maximum stress obtained when two of the sides are assumed to be detatched?
on my earlier post i was asking for assistance with the units used in the publication referenced by miecz earlier. i downloaded the publication from the dept. of interior and would like to use it, but i'm not sure if i am using the correct units for udl on a plate fixed on all sides.
i can analyze the backing stiffeners correctly, it's just the plate i'm having trouble with.
i am going to dig into "design of weldements" by omar today as well.
thanks to all.
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

QQ|Archiver|小黑屋|几何尺寸与公差论坛

GMT+8, 2024-10-6 12:55 , Processed in 0.036906 second(s), 19 queries .