几何尺寸与公差论坛

找回密码
 注册
查看: 472|回复: 0

window openings in masonry

[复制链接]
发表于 2009-9-16 22:27:31 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
window openings in masonry
i've been working on a 1-story masonry building, it's an addition off of an existing metal building to provide office space.  the site is very isolated, outside of city limits and it's being used to store the clients own materials.  i have recently noticed that a 4'x4' opening is shown on the drawings for a 48x48" window.  my questions are:
1.  what is a standard (or min.) height above the floor slab for the bottom of the window.
2.  will the window fit in the opening, or do i need to change it to the 4'-8" height that i'd originally specified.  if i do that, the bottom of the opening will only be 32" off the floor, which now seems awfully low even with a sill block.
the wall is 9'4", and i've got a bond beam at the top and across the top of the openings.  the top of the window and door openings are at the same elev.
the common framing practice is to set the window height to the door height.  the building drawing elevation view, should show the specified height.

the us code requirements i have seen, only controls the type of glazing, (requiring safety glass if certain conditions are meet) not sill height.  the 2'-8" is a normal sile height.
many windows are undersized to fit the 48"x48" inch opening.  full sized windows require a 48 3/4" x 48 3/4" opening.  insure the correct window is ordered.
cheers
boo1, that's just what i was looking for, thank you.  i'll put some verbage in the notes to the effect that the max. opening height will be 48" so the window frame should be slightly less.  easier/quicker than having the walls redrawn at this stage.  
(that 2'-8" sill height still seems low, but i'm 6'7" so probably not the one to pass judgement)
cheers back at ya.
what type of window do you have specified?  if you are using an aluminum sash, the glass contractor will come out and field measure the opening before fabricating it. if you plan to use a standard, prefabed window like a pella or anderson, then you must check the rough opening requirements of the window manufacturer. the rough opening allows for some wood blocking or shiming to plumb the window unit.

also, if your opening is in masonry, you may want to pick a window size that will work the the brick or block coursing.
just a few thoughts!
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

QQ|Archiver|小黑屋|几何尺寸与公差论坛

GMT+8, 2024-5-10 05:32 , Processed in 0.036743 second(s), 19 queries .