几何尺寸与公差论坛

找回密码
 注册
查看: 691|回复: 0

wood rafter thrust problem

[复制链接]
发表于 2009-9-16 23:05:58 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
wood rafter thrust problem
i have a wood framed building with a very tall and steep pitched roof.  unfortunately, the client wants the ceiling vaulted, so we cannot use trusses to frame the roof, only rafters with one intermediate brace toward the top of the roof.  this results in quite a bit of thrust force at the bottom of these rafters.  to take this thrust force out, i was thinking about resolving it into the sill.  by analysis, this results in a really big sill plate.  i was thinking of the sill plate as a simply supported beam.  is this the right way to go about this thrust problem?  would i need a pretty substantial connection at the end of this sill plate?  any other suggestions?  thanks in advance.
i would use a ridge beam.
structuralnerd -
i have run into this problem before and the way that i handled the excess thrust from the vaulted ceiling rafters is to use lvl's placed flat so that the strong axis is in the plane of the thrust force.  not knowing how far of a span your lvl's will have to go you may need 2 or 3 to with stand the thrust force.
jechols-
sorry to be so naive on this subject, but i have limited experience in wood design.  can you please explain to me how the ridge beam resists the thrust force?  i'm assuming a ridge beam is like a header at the ridge of your roof.  thanks.
sometimes you just have to tell the client that what he wants is not reasonable.
you said you could have a brace toward the top.
if you model the roof as an a-frame and put one support on rollers then if you limit the lateral deflection to about 1/2" larger rafters but no significant wall thrust.
alternatively use a load bearing ridge beam as suggested by jechols, this will remove the thrust.
is this ridge beam like a header?  do i design it like a simply supported beam, therefore also making sure the supports are strong enough?  thanks for the suggestions csd72.
why not use scissors trusses?  you will still have a lateral reaction but it will be manageable.
structuralnerd-
using a ridge beam eliminates the thrust by making your slope rafters simply supported.
i second (third) ridge beam suggestion.  if the span is long, you might need to go to a steel ridge beam wrapped in wood.
just to clarify, this ridge beam must sit on wall studs to support it, correct?
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

QQ|Archiver|小黑屋|几何尺寸与公差论坛

GMT+8, 2024-4-28 08:03 , Processed in 0.036525 second(s), 19 queries .