找回密码
 注册
查看: 1463|回复: 0

yield line vs, strip method for rc slab analysis

[复制链接]
发表于 2009-9-16 23:44:01 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
yield line vs, strip method for rc slab analysis
gretings!
im interested if someone could give me some insight on these two methods and how they compare to each other.
im aware of fem power when analyzing slab structures but when a calculation by hand is required wich one of these methods would you use and why? wich are pros and cons, and also how they compare to elastic methods like fem?
some book recomendations, articles...
many thanx!

find a job or post a job opening
heya,
usually strip method is being used for more regular and rectilinear kind of grids as the slab structutal layout.but, yield line method is used in more complex and rigorous layout with different boundary condiditions, such as triangular, circular, etc.
it is up to engineering judgment to predict the true failure mode of the plate which helps alot to setup a realistic set of calculations.
"practical yeild line design" can help you alot to understand the philosophy behind this method:
an extremely important distinction, is that yield line is an "upper bound" solution, meaning you are inherently unconservative. that is to say, no matter what capacity you come up with, the real capacity is actually less than that. so it requires experience to postulate realistic failure lines. you really need to investigate all possible failure mechanisms.
strip method is a "lower bound" method meaning that you are always conservative. that is, if you postulate a certain load path and your steel is sufficient to withstand those loads, the slab will not fail. note: this does not have anything to do with deflections. so with the strip method, you may get a slab that is perfectly safe but way too flexible or that has way too many cracks.
ok
i read what you guys said, also sametabs i looked at the book before posting here.
seem that ill start with strip method, couse that method will give you moment distribution across the slab wich you can use and arrange reinforcement details.
also it gives you egsact amount of load thats transfered to the beams wich you can use for designing beams later on.
and it also an "lower-bound" solution!
if i understand corectly these are all plastic method of analyzing slabs, correct?
fem is an elastic method, correct, wich looks at the slab when the first crack appear opposite to plastic methods wich look at the slab when complete collaps happens.
did i get this right?
fem is an elastic method but also it includes torsional moments (google wood armer). some fem programs can distribute these to design moments. the strip method (hillerborg) explicitly sets these torsional moments to zero.
the strip method is more of a design method whereas the yield line method is more of an analysis method; i.e. pick a reinforcement pattern and find the collapse load.
sdz, thanx for the input!
i always thought that torsion basicly magnifies bending moments mx and my in a plate   
yield line is an upper bound method because there is always a possibility that a more critical pattern exists than the one assumed.
in a real slab the load is carried in bending mx, my, and also in torsion mxy. if the torsion moment is "relaxed" and distributed to mx and my these moments will increase. the strip method is a way of finding an acceptable pattern of mx and my moments with mxy set to zero. that's built into the method. the mx and my pattern may not be the same as the pattern arising from an elastic analysis, nor might it be the most efficient, but it will be capable of carrying the applyed load. in practice the designer should aim for a pattern that is not too disimilar to the elastic moment distribution.
does that help?
ok. i understand that these are the plastic method of analyzing, meaning that you look at the constructon at its faliure.
in our egsample, the formation of  plastic hinges wich then turns structure to a mechanism.
if plastic methods are used for analyzing, one must be very carefull and ansure high ductility and rotational capacity of cross section wich is achived by limiting the neutral axsis depth.
elastic methods look at the structure to the moment when the first cracks appear. in slab case there are bending moments and torsional moments wich have to be find.
from you answers theis is easiest achived by using fem programs wich i also use.
but how to obtain valid results without using computer programs, when you dont have computer in front of you, and when you dont have those tables of coefficents wich you use to get bending moments in a plate?
i only see solution using strip method or yield line method, and these methods neglect torsional moments!
this might sound stupid, but is this dangerous?
these methods have been used for lot of years and the structures are stll in one piece?!
is there maybe another way?

i recently posted a question where i perform a computer analysis by reducing the torsional stiffness (j) of my concrete elements so i will only get answers that are either mxx or myy (mxy~=0). so i don't think it is dangerous to ignore torsional moments as long as they have been redistributed to orthogonal bending moments.
asixth, you are correct.
this is the reason the strip method can be used.  if you look at the differential equation for plate bending, (crudely) it is something like this:
mxx + myy + mxy = q
where q is the applied load.  the equation essentially says your applied force has to be resisted by a combination of your internal moments.  
if you set mxy equal to zero, this means mxx and myy have to carry the difference, but the differential equation is still satisfied, and everything is in equilibrium.  as a side note: if you wanted to treat this as a one-way slab (ie beam) you could set myy and mxy equal to zero and just design for mxx.  you would need a lot of steel for the mxx moments, and the slab would crack significantly in the y direction, but eventually everything would redistribute and be carried by the mxx steel.  
the only upside to designing for mxy is to reduce cracking at the corners. when designing for mxy you will be able to provide the proper amount of reinforcement at the corners to reduce torsional cracking.  aci 318 addresses this though by making the designer add a certain amount of corner reinforcement in the slab.  
i agree with asixth and ns4u that mxx and myy are all you need to ensure that a flat slab is designed adequately, but i don't agree with ns4u that you can design a flat slab as a one way slab.  it will not necessarily redistribute enough in the other direction to prevent collapse.  depends on dimensions.
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

QQ|Archiver|小黑屋|几何尺寸与公差论坛

GMT+8, 2024-5-7 07:39 , Processed in 0.035518 second(s), 19 queries .