几何尺寸与公差论坛

找回密码
 注册
查看: 4840|回复: 1

Why is Visual C++ 2010 still calling Orphan_all when a vector is destroyed wi

[复制链接]
发表于 2013-11-21 13:34:33 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
Why is Visual C++ 2010 still calling Orphan_all when a vector is destroyed with _ITERATOR_DEBUG_LEVEL=0 ?

Hi ho, Visual C++ newbie here.   (I came up to speed on Visual C++ 6 somewhat ages ago, and have used  the IDE sporadically since then, but still don't feel comfortable with  it.  Give me a good old commandline and get off my lawn, that's my  attitude.)

I'm helping out on an app built with Visual C++ 2010 (it's a solution  file with 20 subprojects), and noticed something odd: even  though _ITERATOR_DEBUG_LEVEL and _SECURE_SCL are both defined to zero in  the project's properties, adding /FAs for one of  the .cpp files still shows calls to checked iterator stuff, e.g.

call    DWORD PTR __imp_?_Orphan_all@_Container_base0@std@@QAEXXZ

I've verified (with printf) that both defines are zero.    Furthermore, these calls seem very fragile; if I delete seemingly  trivial amounts of code from the function involved, the calls to  Orphan_all vanish.

So: why is Visual C++ 2010 still calling Orphan_all when a vector is destroyed with _ITERATOR_DEBUG_LEVEL=0 ?

(Also, I've also heard that the cl.exe itself in windows sdk v7.1 and  several games all seem to import  _Orphan_all@_Container_base0@std@@QAEXXZ from msvcp100.dll, which seems  odd for released products.  What should msvcp100.dll's  _Orphan_all@_Container_base0@std@@QAEXXZ  do -- is it a no-op, or does it actually do things, like the one in  msvcp100d.dll?)

[EDIT: asked at http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11572845/why-is-visual-c-2010-still-calling-orphan-all-when-a-vector-is-destroyed-with and   got excellent answers within minutes.  That site is on fire!  I now  suspect that the optimizer just missed removing a few calls that it  should have known would be no-ops.]

• Edited by                             Dan Kegel                         Friday, July 20, 2012 4:57 AM

Friday, July 20, 2012 4:10 AM
                                                                                                                    Reply                 
                     |
                                                               Quote                 
                                           |

Dan Kegel

0 Points               

Answers            

0

Sign in to vote                                      

I understand the issue clearly now.  The example program

#include <stdio.h> #include <vector> using namespace std; int main() {   vector<int> foo;   vector<int> bar;   vector<int> baz;   foo.push_back(1);   swap(foo, bar);   baz = bar;   printf("top of baz is %d\n", baz.back());   return 0; }
when compiled with /FAs shows various calls to _Orphan_all and  _Swap_all... and compiling with /E shows that those functions are empty  inline functions.  As described in &#65279;

http://channel9.msdn.com/Series/C9-Lectures-Stephan-T-Lavavej-Advanced-STL/C9-Lectures-Stephan-T-Lavavej-Advanced-STL-3-of-n

that's normal, and the optimizer usually inlines these calls (which, since they're empty, removes them).  When you compile with /Od, or when the function in question is too big for the optimizer, the calls are not inlined, and the (empty) implementation in msvcp100.dll is called (and just returns).

So, in short, all is well, and those calls are not normally a performance problem.
 楼主| 发表于 2013-11-21 13:34:49 | 显示全部楼层

回复: Why is Visual C++ 2010 still calling Orphan_all when a vector is destro

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

QQ|Archiver|小黑屋|几何尺寸与公差论坛

GMT+8, 2024-4-25 04:02 , Processed in 0.039299 second(s), 19 queries .