几何尺寸与公差论坛------致力于产品几何量公差标准GD&T (GDT:ASME)|New GPS(ISO)研究/CAD设计/CAM加工/CMM测量  

返回   几何尺寸与公差论坛------致力于产品几何量公差标准GD&T (GDT:ASME)|New GPS(ISO)研究/CAD设计/CAM加工/CMM测量 » 三维空间:产品设计或CAX软件使用 » CAD设计 » 产品功能分析
用户名
密码
注册 帮助 会员 日历 银行 搜索 今日新帖 标记论坛为已读

回复

主题工具 搜索本主题 显示模式
旧 2009-09-15, 05:13 PM   #1
huangyhg
超级版主

huangyhg的头像

注册日期: 04-03
帖子: 18592
精华: 36
现金: 249466 标准币
资产: 1080358888 标准币
huangyhg 向着好的方向发展
默认 reinforced concrete column subjected to impac

reinforced concrete column subjected to impact
hello,
i have to design the corner column (reinforced concrete) for a two-story house at the crossing of two streets, c1 in the picture specifically.
if loads controlled the design, it would be a 20cm x 20cm column with #4 bars, like c2, etc. however, corner columns are given a special consideration due to the potential risk of being impacted by vehicles, which takes precedence over the dl + ll static analysis. it is not uncommon for corner columns of ordinary houses to have a diameter of 50cm or more (or 40cm x 40cm if square) and be heavily reinforced as well. i skimmed aci 318-08 but didn't find anything in this regard.
now, my questions are: what is the common practice for designing reinforced-concrete corner columns subjected to the (potential) impact of vehicles? what is the detailing like? which shape is more convenient, square or circular? can the longitudinal reinforcement be spliced in these columns? my intuition says it shouldn't... is it sensitive to use spiral rebar for shear?
thanks.

do they tell you how big the vehicle will be or how fast it will be going?
cars..vans... normal urban traffic...
beyond municipal codes, which, by the way, are non-existing in this case, i'd like to know what the criteria are for designing such columns.
thanks.

some of the structural guys will probably shoot me down but based on personal experience a circular column, if aesthetically correct, gives the oncoming vehicle a better chance of hitting it with a glancing blow.
anecdotal:
i have a friend who lives on curve where he looses his mailbox, 8' off the road, about twice a year. the last time he rebuilt it he made the inside a reiforced concrete post 2'x 2' x 4' deep. it was hit about 2 months after he finished and it tore up one car and sent the driver to the hospital. the driver had a blood alcohol twice the legal limit. he is now suing for $500,000 for lost of work, companionship, pain and suffering, etc. the suit says that the mailbox was not of normal construction and the post was deliberately setup to hurt someone.

houses, columns get hit all the time by vehicles (even if the drivers aren't under the influence). i would bulk it up to 500 square with nominal 1% reinforcement.
can you define what reinforcement ratio constitutes "heavy" reinforcement.
by the way, what cad program are you using and how would you rate the useability?
i might consider reinorcing the beams so that they possibly survive if the column was completely taken out - some call this redundant engineering - big in blast analysis where the loss of one column does not doom a structure.
a pair of bollards to absorb collisions and normal size column is one solution. 6" diameter pipe buried 4 feet in 12" diameter concrete filled holes protects building columns from forklift trucks. the bollards are sacrificial and must be replaced after each major collision.
i agree with civilperson - use bollards to protect the column. if it makes you feel better, put some extra reinforcing in the column too, but rely on the bollards to protect the column.
mike mccann
mmc engineering
thanks everybody.
quote (asixth):
can you define what reinforcement ratio constitutes "heavy" reinforcement.
according to a few local contractors, they build these columns 40cm x 40cm with 16 #5 (as/ac=0.02). however, that's not the most widespread pattern i see. i see corner columns as slender as 20cm x 20cm and as thick as 60cm x 60cm and everything in between (for like dl and ll).
my concern is, if something goes wrong and people get hurt, i cannot say to the judge "well, i designed it that way because of word of mouth from local contractors.." i'd better have a more formal and professional answer.
quote (asixth):
by the way, what cad program are you using and how would you rate the useability?
i'm using autocad 2006 with its built-in 3d & rendering functionalities. when needed, i download textures (plain gif/jpg/bmp files) from the internet. not the killer user experience, but that's the only package i know. there are many 3d authoring apps that i would like to learn, some commercial (e.g. 3d studio max), some free (e.g. blender). too many things in the to-do list and too little time unfortunately. i do post-processing (like adding dimensions and text) over the rendered model with photoshop.
quote (miketheengineer):
i might consider reinorcing the beams so that they possibly survive if the column was completely taken out - some call this redundant engineering - big in blast analysis where the loss of one column does not doom a structure.
what would you change in the following design ? too much congestion at the encounter of both beams doesn't leave room to interweave the rebar. does it make sense? (see pics.)
thanks.

if you design for every possible contingency, then you will be out of business quicker than the client can see your design compared to the competition. follow the code, it is considered "good judgement".
quote (civilperson):
follow the code, it is considered "good judgement".
but i don't even have a starting point on this very subject...
GDT自动化论坛(仅游客可见)
回复

主题工具 搜索本主题
搜索本主题:

高级搜索
显示模式

发帖规则
不可以发表新主题
不可以回复主题
不可以上传附件
不可以编辑您的帖子

vB 代码开启
[IMG]代码开启
HTML代码关闭

相似的主题
主题 主题发起者 论坛 回复 最后发表
concrete sampling guidlines huangyhg 产品功能分析 0 2009-09-08 12:34 PM
concrete mix= reinfocing for exterior composit deck huangyhg 产品功能分析 0 2009-09-08 12:19 PM
concrete encased column huangyhg 产品功能分析 0 2009-09-08 12:03 PM
chapter 4 preliminary design properties of concrete huangyhg 产品功能分析 0 2009-09-07 11:23 PM
cantilever steel beam at column huangyhg 产品功能分析 0 2009-09-07 10:40 PM

所有的时间均为北京时间。 现在的时间是 03:07 AM.

于2004年创办,几何尺寸与公差论坛"致力于产品几何量公差标准GD&T | GPS研究/CAD设计/CAM加工/CMM测量"。免责声明:论坛严禁发布色情反动言论及有关违反国家法律法规内容!情节严重者提供其IP,并配合相关部门进行严厉查处,若內容有涉及侵权,请立即联系我们QQ:44671734。注:此论坛须管理员验证方可发帖。
沪ICP备06057009号-2
更多