几何尺寸与公差论坛------致力于产品几何量公差标准GD&T (GDT:ASME)|New GPS(ISO)研究/CAD设计/CAM加工/CMM测量  

返回   几何尺寸与公差论坛------致力于产品几何量公差标准GD&T (GDT:ASME)|New GPS(ISO)研究/CAD设计/CAM加工/CMM测量 » 三维空间:产品设计或CAX软件使用 » CAD设计 » 产品功能分析
用户名
密码
注册 帮助 会员 日历 银行 搜索 今日新帖 标记论坛为已读

回复

主题工具 搜索本主题 显示模式
旧 2009-09-16, 04:49 PM   #1
huangyhg
超级版主

huangyhg的头像

注册日期: 04-03
帖子: 18592
精华: 36
现金: 249466 标准币
资产: 1080358888 标准币
huangyhg 向着好的方向发展
默认 uk beam designation

uk beam designation
hi,
i have to design a steel beam as a favor for a relative who lives in london, but i'm not familiar with the british steel beam designations. i need the british equivalent designation of a w8x15 or a w8x18. any help would be greatly appreciated.

the link beneath shows the commonly avalable ub sections which are avaalable here in the uk. i hope there is something here that fits !
kmead,
please note that alterations to buildings inthe uk are cvered by the building regulations and it is likely that the local council's building control department will take an interest in any building work requiring this steel beam.
the building regulations would normally require a steel beam design to be conducted in accordance with uk codes of practice (bs5950 -1).
if you produce a design to a us code, make it abundantly clear what you have done so as to avoid any confusion. also try to avoid technical terminology as this differs.
here in the uk we don't know about girt or wythes or many other of your quaint americanisms!
whats a girt? and wythes?
pba...
it's my understanding that the term "wythe" dates back to to 1200's and is english in origin... girt is also english but is more related to horizontal apparel...
dik
ok.
my understanding is that wythe is a single leaf of masonry. in the uk we call this a leaf...
i'm less sure as to girt but think it is a term relating to a horizontal wind resisting
pba, i would agree with you statement. i have never come across either of those terms during my day to day work. i checked my illustrated dictionary of building but they don't list anything either
i can quite believe they came from old english, but they are certainly not used today. it is entirely feasible that the words were carried across to the us in the 1700's, their usage died out here, but continued in america.
that said i might use wythe sometime to confuse some of my colleagues for a laugh.
thank you all for your help.
pba, i have since obtained a copy of the british code online and have sized a beam which the building official is checking at the present time. also, thanks for the terminology lesson, it's very interesting
wythe is common today... a masonry veneer wall may have an outer wythe (facing brick) and an inner wythe (main cmu wall). many old homes in england may be constructed of 3 thickneses of brick, ie. a 3 wythe wall).
a girt is in common useage also. typical pre-engineered buildings have horizontal girts spanning horizontally from frame to frame in order to support the exterior cladding.
dik
thanks dik,
so a girt takes vertical as well as horizontal loads?
yes some old masonry walls in uk may be three separate leaves. it is more common to see solid walls rather than separate leaves (or wythes)often with rubble infill...
does anyone else know of other engineering related differences in language?
kmead - good luck with your beam design!
for pre-eng bldgs, 'girts' supporting vertical loads are called purlins...
dik
GDT自动化论坛(仅游客可见)
回复

主题工具 搜索本主题
搜索本主题:

高级搜索
显示模式

发帖规则
不可以发表新主题
不可以回复主题
不可以上传附件
不可以编辑您的帖子

vB 代码开启
[IMG]代码开启
HTML代码关闭

相似的主题
主题 主题发起者 论坛 回复 最后发表
question regarding floor support beam installation huangyhg 产品功能分析 0 2009-09-15 03:58 PM
help with composite beam huangyhg 产品功能分析 0 2009-09-09 04:15 PM
cross beam bolted connection huangyhg 产品功能分析 0 2009-09-08 03:55 PM
beam strengthening huangyhg 产品功能分析 0 2009-09-07 03:04 PM
12 x 6.5x 38 thick x 41 residential basement i-beam con huangyhg 产品功能分析 0 2009-09-06 10:30 PM

所有的时间均为北京时间。 现在的时间是 03:56 PM.

于2004年创办,几何尺寸与公差论坛"致力于产品几何量公差标准GD&T | GPS研究/CAD设计/CAM加工/CMM测量"。免责声明:论坛严禁发布色情反动言论及有关违反国家法律法规内容!情节严重者提供其IP,并配合相关部门进行严厉查处,若內容有涉及侵权,请立即联系我们QQ:44671734。注:此论坛须管理员验证方可发帖。
沪ICP备06057009号-2
更多