几何尺寸与公差论坛------致力于产品几何量公差标准GD&T (GDT:ASME)|New GPS(ISO)研究/CAD设计/CAM加工/CMM测量  

返回   几何尺寸与公差论坛------致力于产品几何量公差标准GD&T (GDT:ASME)|New GPS(ISO)研究/CAD设计/CAM加工/CMM测量 » 三维空间:产品设计或CAX软件使用 » CAD设计 » 产品功能分析
用户名
密码
注册 帮助 会员 日历 银行 搜索 今日新帖 标记论坛为已读

回复

主题工具 搜索本主题 显示模式
旧 2009-09-07, 04:30 PM   #1
huangyhg
超级版主

huangyhg的头像

注册日期: 04-03
帖子: 18592
精华: 36
现金: 249466 标准币
资产: 1080358888 标准币
huangyhg 向着好的方向发展
默认 bottom flange restraints for seismic loads

bottom flange restraints for seismic loads
hello all,
i am working on a steel structure in a high-seismic zone area, and the question arose about restraining the bottom flange for lateral-torsional buckling since the vertical seismic loads are large and reversible. as a general rule of thumb at my company, we use 3" as a maximum difference in tos (or bos) for the shorter beam to laterally brace the corresponding flange of the beam it frames into.
my question does not directly have to do with that rule of thumb, but rather if anyone has an opinion on whether the compression flange of the beam could actually buckle during a seismic event. it seems to me that the extremely short load durations at the peak response of the structure would not be long enough to cause the compression flange to buckle, especially since the load will alternate between the positive and negative moment several times during the event. is compression flange buckling a sudden catastrophic event, or does it need some time to deform and twist the member first?
my current design has top flange restraints (same tos) and bottom flange restraints where the incident beams are 3" or less deeper than the collector beam. i have a few cases where the bottom flanges are 4" or 5" apart and i will have a better peace of mind justifying that the bottom flange of the deeper beam is braced by the shorter member if there is a small likelihood of the compression flange actually buckling during a seismic event.
thanks for your help!
i guess i don't see the concern for bottom flange bracing against seismic loads. first, the vertical seismic load shouldn't be that large or even enough to overcome the dead load (but maybe i'm wrong).
even if it does overcome the dead load and cause compression in the bottom flange, your connecting beams should be adequate to brace the collecting beam against ltb. yura (at ut austin) has shown that rotational restraint is almost as effective as flange transitional bracing for ltb. and the bracing force/stiffness isn't that large anyway that your gravity connecitons would be adequate.
in reality this thing is calculable, i think precisely by method proposed by yura, for it all amounts to the required bracing of a compression flange loaded to some load level, which may be furnished through restraint to rotation.
the general geometry in the area won't initially be as deformed as to not be feasible to think the concrete parts in the floor be able to provide the (almost) fixity required to provide the rotational restraint, and all is then a matter of if the web as a cantilever is strong enough as to provide -in concurrence of the other standing forces- the required strength and stiffness to act as an effective stiffener for the standing compressive force in the bottom flange.
jae,
depending on your location, the vertical loadings probably should be considered to be large. check the report on the northridge, california earthquake. though i'm not a structural engineer,i remember seeing some heavy damage in the photographs and discussions of same caused by vertical motion. i think they had a large movements in both the horizontal and vertical direction. i don’t think anyone had considered the vertical movement would be as large as it was. if i understood it right, the movement was not the rolling wave but a vertical uplift. i imagine that california codes have put a little more in their structural codes concerning vertical movement.
i believe the report was put out by the aws. i was looking at some very bad weld failures in the connections. there were some connections that you could see apparent reversals at the connection in the vertical direction.
GDT自动化论坛(仅游客可见)
回复

主题工具 搜索本主题
搜索本主题:

高级搜索
显示模式

发帖规则
不可以发表新主题
不可以回复主题
不可以上传附件
不可以编辑您的帖子

vB 代码开启
[IMG]代码开启
HTML代码关闭

相似的主题
主题 主题发起者 论坛 回复 最后发表
bottom flange connection huangyhg 产品功能分析 0 2009-09-07 04:30 PM
bottom flange bracings huangyhg 产品功能分析 0 2009-09-07 04:29 PM
bottom flange bearing on steel beam huangyhg 产品功能分析 0 2009-09-07 04:29 PM
beam bottom flange loading huangyhg 产品功能分析 0 2009-09-07 02:45 PM
are asce 7-02 wind loads ultimate or service level huangyhg 产品功能分析 0 2009-09-07 12:46 PM

所有的时间均为北京时间。 现在的时间是 07:49 PM.

于2004年创办,几何尺寸与公差论坛"致力于产品几何量公差标准GD&T | GPS研究/CAD设计/CAM加工/CMM测量"。免责声明:论坛严禁发布色情反动言论及有关违反国家法律法规内容!情节严重者提供其IP,并配合相关部门进行严厉查处,若內容有涉及侵权,请立即联系我们QQ:44671734。注:此论坛须管理员验证方可发帖。
沪ICP备06057009号-2
更多